Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Wednesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 439

I tell you, brothers, the time is running out.
From now on, let those having wives act as not having them,
those weeping as not weeping,
those rejoicing as not rejoicing,
those buying as not owning,
those using the world as not using it fully.
For the world in its present form is passing away.


If I had done an inventory of what I owned fifty years ago, and looked at it today, I am pretty sure I've lost everything. Or gave it away, or threw it away. If we take nothing with us when we die, we don't carry much through our lives.  

In today's readings from Saint Paul's first letter to Corinth and Saint Luke's Gospel, the Lord urges us to anticipate and practice his way of life. We should be putting up our spiritual sails on the masts of daily prayer and catching that wind which will carry us, along with the tides of time, out of today's safe haven into the deep of tomorrow's uncertainty. And it's easier to travel light. 

Saint Luke urges us to prepare for hardship, and reminds us that those who are poor, hungry, grieving, or despised will be happier in the Kingdom of God, while those who are rich, content, happy, and universally loved today will not fare so well. 

Some people, using a theory of history, predict...

Hard times create strong men; strong men create good times; good times create weak men; and weak men create hard times. 

Because I believe in the Lord of History who quietly governs far more than we suppose or imagine, I am leery of historical theories; but that one makes sense. There is something extremely predictable about greed, stupidity, and sin in general; not much good can come of them. If shortsighted plans do not lead automatically to catastrophe, the Lord of History might assist the process. Because God owes no one anything, the wicked should feel less secure of their future; while the poor, needy, neglected, and despised -- whom the Lord prefers -- can hope for better times. 

If there are any observances of Patriot's Day today, they will remind us how everything can change in the twinkling of an eye.

Do not wear yourself out to gain wealth,
cease to be worried about it;
When your glance flits to it, it is gone!
For assuredly it grows wings,
like the eagle that flies toward heaven. Proverbs 23:4-5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.