Sunday, September 29, 2024

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 137

If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off...
And if your foot causes you to sin, cut if off...
And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out....


As a chaplain in the VA hospital I met more than a few patients waiting for the surgical amputation of toes, feet, and limbs. Few were reluctant. Severe, relentless pain had persuaded them the time had come. 

But Americans don't like to amputate their rights. We are continually told we can have whatever we want without sacrifice, and without discipline. "You have a right to it; you deserve it, you have earned it, we want you to have this!" And then a doctor comes into our rooms and says, "We'll have to amputate." Or, "Here's the best therapy we can offer under the circumstances." 

In the spiritual discussions I conducted with Veterans in the VA, in the substance abuse rehab program, I often asked the Veterans, "What do you want freedom from? And, "What do you want freedom for?" Everyone answered the first question easily. They wanted freedom from alcoholism and drug addiction. But what did they want to do with their freedom? 

Most answered they wanted the freedom to do what they want. That's all they wanted. But I would remind them, "That's why you're here! You wanted alcohol, and you wanted drugs, and you got what you wanted! Why do you want to be free? What will you do with your freedom? If freedom is doing what you want, you will come back to rehab continually."

Some, when pressed, would answer they wanted to be there for their wives and children; but they were not the majority. Many had been pursuing their own needs, desires, and impulses for so long, they could think of nothing else. Their freedom was aimless, without purpose or meaning. And their people had given up on them a long time ago. 

Freedom comes with a price. It often entails a series of amputations. I enjoyed smoking pipes for many years. I never felt like I was addicted; I didn't need the substance, but I enjoyed it occasionally. Tobacco is not evil. But the day came when I knew it was time to let it go. I took several pipes, a package of pipe cleaners, an expensive pipe lighter, and some old dry tobacco; and threw the whole package in a dumpster. I knew I would regret it, and I do. But I regret the loss of many things, good and bad. So what? 

I say, "It was good while it lasted." I used to enjoy jogging too, and tennis and racquetball. I won't even try pickle-ball. My back won't take the pounding; it was good while it lasted. 

Saint Paul described the sacrifice with less graphic language:

When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things. (I Cor 13: 11)

As we follow the Lord to Calvary we learn to carry less stuff. We let go of material things, and opinions, attitudes, resentments, and habits that no longer serve our purposes or God's. We prepare for that day as we remember the words of the wise man: 

Naked I came forth from the womb, and naked I shall return again. We accept good things from the Lord, and should we not accept the bad. The Lord gives, the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.