I will prove the holiness of my great name,
profaned among the nations,
in whose midst you have profaned it.
Thus the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD,
when in their sight I prove my holiness through you.
For I will take you away from among the nations....
My sense of humor may be a bit off, but I take a wry delight in the "good news/bad news" of today's first reading. Ezekiel has announced, "The Lord is taking us home!" (Hurray!)
Because He is very unhappy about how the nations abuse his Holy Name after witnessing our deplorable conduct! (Uh Oh!)
That can't be good. It means the "Promised Land" of the future ain't what it used to be. If it was a land flowing with milk and honey, it may be that more familiar place of thorns and thistles we heard about in Genesis 3.
A lot depends upon whose side you're on. If you stand only for yourself, you will certainly be disappointed and disatisfied with the promise and its fulfillment. However, if you stand with Job and the holy ones of God, you will sing,
The Lord gives and the Lord takes away;Blessed be the name of the Lord!
"In his will, is our peace!" as Dante wrote. It's that simple and when we keep it simple, it is profoundly, deeply satisfying.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.