The word of the LORD came to me:
Son of man, make known to Jerusalem her abominations.
Thus says the Lord GOD to Jerusalem....
Christian martyrs make known to the Church and the world their abominations. When Christians go along with the compromises and contradictions that ordinary, civilized life demands, the refusal of martyrs bears witness to the demands of the Gospel.
The prophet Ezekiel today uses a shocking image to remind God's people of their depraved practices and habits. He knew the history of Israel very well; it was a long story of God's persistent blessings and Israel's equally persistent refusal to rely on God's generosity. He also knew the horror of those nations who neither know the LORD or hear his word.
In the closing years of the 20th century some gullible citizens might have believed that humanity had actually come a long way toward security and civility. The Shoah in Europe seemed a long time ago; recent medical and technological advances enabled longer life. There had been no further uses of nuclear weapons since the mid-century bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Perhaps the time for Ezekiel's ominous threats has passed!
And then came 9/11 and the madness of continuing wars with cyber- and drone-warfare; the resurgence of terrorism, antisemitism, and a wave of violence against Christians in many countries. If the endemic violence of human life once seemed contained in prisons, slums, and poorer nations for a while, it has broken out of its boundaries and is rapidly overwhelming more.
Perhaps Mr Trump was joking when he announced his running for a third term at the annual White House Correspondents Dinner. The occasion has always been marked with unserious jokes and humor. But he has never said he would not run; and has often said he would.
Are making such announcements, an undeclared campaign, a nomination by a major party, or winning a third presidential election illegal, prosecutable acts? The 22nd Amendment of the Constitution has never been challenged or tried before the Supreme Court. And SCOTUS has been remarkably friendly to Mr. Trump. If he ran and were to be renominated, elected, and sworn into office would that signal the end of the American experiment? Or would the nation stagger on like the Roman Empire which began as a democracy and continued under a long series of emperors? (It finally disappeared forever at the end of World War I.)
Christians, Catholics, and Jews are adept at ignoring the prophets' warnings. But the Word of God endures forever, and martyrs will continue to announce his sovereign authority
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.