Remember your Creator in the days of your youth,
before the evil days come
And the years approach of which you will say,
I have no pleasure in them;
before the evil days come
And the years approach of which you will say,
I have no pleasure in them;
Before the sun is darkened...
Many years ago, I could hear the chirp of birds and other daughters of song without hearing aids. I managed to get through twenty years of school un-aided, but I faked a lot and my grades might have been a lot better if I could hear. I can't complain. Due to the good work of a village of dentists the grinders are not yet idle in my mouth, and the windows of my glasses are not blind.
And, given the stories of many boomers, I could suppose that I have such good fortune because I listened to old people like Qoheleth and remembered my Creator. But mine was not the first generation who "saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked...." (Howl, by Allen Ginsberg) We inherited a fascination for chemical abuse from our ancestors.
And I might agree occasionally with Qoheleth's sad pronouncement, "Vanity of vanities; all things are vanity." Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
However, given my years, I think I understand the amazement described in today's gospel. The meaning of the Lord's words was hidden from their sight, "so that they should not understand it, and they were afraid to ask him about this saying."
Sometimes it's better not to ask. As Qoheleth also said, "There's a time for everything under heaven." And if it's not yet time for me to understand, I'm good with that. It's probably more than I can, or want to, understand.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.