![]() |
| The Virgin repels a demon with a stick |
Before faith came, we were held in custody under law,
confined for the faith that was to be revealed.
Consequently, the law was our disciplinarian for Christ,
that we might be justified by faith.
But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a disciplinarian.
For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus.
The picture of a Virgin driving a demon away from a mother and her child might be used to describe the disciplinarian which Saint Paul speaks of in today's first reading. It protects us from temptation when we're too young or foolish to avoid the allure of sin.
When I was a child a neighbor, digging a sewage pit in his backyard, left it covered for a few days until the plumbing was finished. Only a few two-by-fours and a laminated sheet of wood kept local boys from peering into it. That and the warning, "This pit is filled with acid and if you fall into it, there'll be nothing but bones left of you!" I didn't go near it.
Well disciplined children learn to thank their parents and God for using the fear of punishment and the hope for reward when they were young.
Whoever spares the rod hates the child,
but whoever loves will apply discipline. Proverb 13:24
With time and maturity we learn gratitude and loyalty to our very human parents who did the best they could with what they had under the circumstances of the time. If it was a hard time for everyone, there was no reason children should not suffer with everyone else.
Discipline becomes fidelity. Self-discipleship within the Church becomes faith. Drill sergeants, stern teachers, and good parents know that. In the picture we see a faithful Virgin disciplining Satan himself! And, even in my old age, I invite her to kindly, sternly rebuke me when I go astray. I might not be happy about it, but I'll be grateful.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.