Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Feast of the Annunciation



Science fiction writers like to call us earthlings, creatures of the earth. It’s a fascinating word as we celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation. Jesus, born of Mary, is a man of earth, an earthling. What does it take to be an earthling?
I am told that every element and many chemicals on this earth were formed from the heart of a star. In many cases, they were created by a succession of stars. Somewhere after the Big Bang billions of stars were born and went through their life cycles before collapsing and exploding, scattering stardust throughout the cosmos. That dust fell into other stars which collapsed and exploded again. After repeated “smelting” through perhaps dozens of stars some elements were ready to sustain life on earth.
Seventeen billion years after the Big Bang the Solar System in our Milky Way evolved, and the Earth was born. This planet passed through many complex and astonishing phases and eventually bore life. That’s making a very long story very short, but you get the idea.
I am not especially interested in the question of extra-terrestrial life. I’m sure we’ll cross that philosophical bridge when we get to it, if we get to it.
But I am fascinated by the appearance of earthlings. Despite Startrek and Starwars and all the other quixotic stories – where is Miguel de Cervantes when we need him? – it seems obvious to me that human beings could appear only on Earth. It’s not a coincidence that the temperature, gravity and chemistry of this planet are precisely suited to human life. The fact is we were made here and we belong here. This planet is our home and, until proven otherwise, I believe we’re going no where else. There is no where else to go! At least not for the foreseeable future and in this case we can foresee pretty far.

…which brings me to the Annunciation. Jesus was born of the same stardust in which you and I were created. Our God chose to be an earthling, eating earth food, drinking water (H2O), inhaling oxygen (O2) and exhaling carbon dioxide (CO2) – one like us in all things but sin. Before he knew his left hand from his right he was baby-talking gladness for mother-love and human milk.

He was honored to be a Nazarene, a Jew and an Asian. He spoke a peculiar dialect of Aramaic, which drew scorn from Jerusalemites. (“Your very speech gives you away!”) His appearance was so unremarkable that no one remarked upon it until he was transfigured; so we can assume he was of typical height – perhaps five and a half feet tall – with black hair, dark eyes and dark skin. And his weight, whatever it was, kept him grounded on earth.

Finally he died as all living things of this earth die, though the manner of his death was extraordinary both for its savagery and for his graciousness.

The Feast of the Assumption stirs gratitude in me for being made an earthling like Jesus. I eat, drink, breathe, sleep, walk, talk, listen, work, play, pray and care as he did. With Him I stand upright on the Earth, in full sight of the Sun, Moon and Stars, and sing God's praises. I am sure he is still among us for an earthling can live no where else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.