Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 251


You judge by appearances, but I do not judge anyone.
And even if I should judge, my judgment is valid,
because I am not alone,
but it is I and the Father who sent me.



In today’s gospel we hear Jesus insist, “I do not judge anyone.” Yesterday, in a passage from the same eighth chapter, we saw a crowd of accusers gather round him and confront him with a woman “caught in the very act of adultery.”
In today’s first reading, from the Book of the Prophet Daniel, we hear of another woman accused of adultery and her prayer of desperation: 

“O eternal God, you know what is hidden and are aware of all things before they come to be: you know that they have testified falsely against me. Here I am about to die, though I have done none of the things with which these wicked men have charged me.”
Feminist have pointed out that rape is not a sexual act but an act of aggression. It’s driven by the urge for dominance and power, rather than lust; and has no resemblance to sexual desire, much less love. 
The killing of Jesus is also about dominance and power. It is our refusal to accept the authority of God, especially as he reveals himself in the most perfect way possible, as a human being. What could be less intimidating than a swaddled baby? Who could be less powerful than a crucified man? We could not recognize our God were he to appear in any other guise, and yet we will not have a God who appears so humble, gentle and good. 
With his deliverance of the accused woman Jesus signs his own death warrant – again. He has done so repeatedly as he challenges, questions and ignores the religious authorities of Jerusalem. Every time his accusers confront him he readily accepts the hatred they dump on women, the poor, the helpless and those commonly known as sinners. His willingness to defend the defenseless and his unwillingness to protect himself drive them into a murderous frenzy. 
With his last breath he will continue to “heap coals upon their heads” as he prays, “Father, forgive them. They know not what they are doing.” 

If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat, if thirsty, give something to drink; for live coals you will heap on their heads, and the LORD will vindicate you. (Proverbs 25:21-22)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.