Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Lectionary: 240


Thus says the LORD:
This is what I commanded my people:
Listen to my voice;
then I will be your God and you shall be my people.
Walk in all the ways that I command you,
so that you may prosper.



When the magi arrived in Bethlehem and found the Baby in Mary’s arms, Saint Matthew tells us they prostrated themselves and paid him homage. I think of listening as a kind of homage. It’s an act of profound respect for the person who is speaking. 
To listen is not to agree or disagree. That kind of listening is severely blocked by one’s own inflated opinions. Rather, listening is allowing the other to be in one’s presence. It says, “Come in. Speak to me. Make yourself at home. You are welcome.”
“Listen!” is God’s first command to us. But it is a peculiar command since its fulfillment depends upon the listener’s willingness to receive the One who speaks. On the opening pages of the Bible we hear God command the elements: 
“Let there be light! and so it happened... Let there be day and night! and so it happened.” 
In those scenes God does not ask for anything; God commands and his command is instantly fulfilled.
But when God speaks to us he says, “Listen!” He can say no more until we turn our entire attention to him: heart, soul, mind, body, eagerness, willingness, openness, needs, fears, hopes….
During this Season of Lent we prepare to hear what God will say to us. If it is wrapped in words like resurrection, deliverance, and salvation, the reality will be nonetheless astonishing for we have little idea what those words mean. They leave us open to hear more and to welcome the One who speaks:
Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.