Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday of the Fourth Week of Lent

Habemus Papam! Let us pray for Pope Francis! a simple man with a simple name. 
By the Lord has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes! 


Lectionary: 247


If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is not true.
But there is another who testifies on my behalf,
and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true.

Jesus stood silently before the perplexed Pontius Pilate. The procurator often found accused criminals in his court; he was familiar with their alibis, excuses, denials, and claims of innocence. He didn’t need to hear any more pleas for mercy from these miserable wretches; and it was never difficult to make a decision. He simply went with the power. If the accuser was more powerful than the accused, the defendant was guilty. If the defendant was more powerful, he was vindicated.
But Jesus denied nothing, accused no one, blamed no one and said nothing. Despite the rumors of his kingship, he had no visible support. Nor would he testify on his own behalf. It was not hard to condemn Jesus to death -- as easy as swatting a fly! -- but why?
Pilate could no more deal with Jesus’ answer – “Truth” – than he could walk on water or raise the dead. These things were alien to him. What Pilate knew was power; brutal, irrational, naked power.
Lest we forget, three months ago today, twenty children and six adults were savagely murdered by a young man who had the power to do so. 

Pray to God that he will deliver the United States from the worship of the demon Power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.