Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent

Lectionary: 239



Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.



From ancient times the Jews have regarded the Law as God’s great gift. Even a cursory glance at Psalm 119, the longest psalm, reveals their eager, joyous tradition of reflecting on, and thanking God for, the Law of Moses.
True to that tradition, and contrary to what many might want to believe, Jesus insists that he has not come to abolish the law or the prophets. Could the Word- Made-Flesh abolish himself? Rather, he comes to fulfill the Law of Moses by his life and teaching.
If the Law seems too idealistic; if it seems like an impossible standard by which God proves his holiness and our depravity: Jesus fulfills the law by conforming perfectly to its word and spirit. He alone satisfies God’s demands upon our human nature.
That satisfaction is obviously more than “the purification of cups and jugs and kettles and beds.” It could not scruple over “tithes of mint and rue and of every garden herb.” Jesus’ fulfillment of the smallest letter and the smallest part of a letter must consume his entire being, from conception to death. His breath must be consecrated in the Spirit of God.
As we strive “to walk in his very footprints” we must continually ask the Lord to give us the same Spirit. Clearly, we can live by the law of God only if we are animated by his spirit. That may seem too much to ask, but a refrigerator only works if it’s plugged in! We are created to be plugged into God, driven by holy generosity, courage, gratitude and joy on the road to Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.