Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 256

No longer shall they defile themselves with their idols, their abominations, and all their transgressions. I will deliver them from all their sins of apostasy, and cleanse them so that they may be my people and I may be their God.



As we plunge into Holy Week with its four major celebrations -- Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and the Easter Vigil Mass -- we hear the promise of God once again, 
"They shall me my people and I will be their God." 

It should not be surprising that our children sometimes find the challenge unbearable. The Lord is asking them, as He has asked us, to come aside and be a holy people, unlike other peoples. Not everyone can accept that call. 

It's one thing to be a Kentucky or a Louisville fan here in the divided land of Kentuckiana, where families and coworkers are divided by their team loyalties. It's one thing to be Baptist or Catholic or Methodist, conventional religious identities that don't make much difference anymore. They're not much different than sports teams identities. 

But actually rooting one's identity, relationships, career and life style in God's Holiness, to act with integrity in every circumstance, to practice penance and atonement habitually and daily; and to do these things in such a way that others notice and some feel uncomfortable in one's presence -- that takes a particular courage. One must feel personally called, invited and challenged to live apart. 

And then, being apart, one feels sent back to take part in and be a part of one's family, neighborhood, church and city! 

That person will need the graces of Holy Week. Come, let us worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.