Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday of Holy Week



 

“Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself,
and he will glorify him at once.

 

A man I greatly admired for his wisdom, courage and integrity fell prey to depression. Suffering the same mental illness I was astonished this should happen to him. At that time I was on the road to recovery whereas he had been diagnosed only recently. Wanting to say something encouraging and hopeful to him, I said, “Depression is like grace. You didn’t earn it; you don’t deserve it.”

Sometimes punishment is a blessing. Depression may not be a punishment as in retribution for wrongdoing; but it is punishing, as in hard to bear and extremely discouraging. I have also found it to be a brutal teacher who directs me toward grace. Helpless, I have had to abandon my solitary habits and accept help from others.

Jesus speaks of his cross as glory. How can that be? But it is like grace; he didn’t deserve it. He did not earn it. It was given to him by the Father with infinite love.

His cross was more than physical pain. It was also Judas’ betrayal, Peter’s denial, the disciples’ flight, the contempt of his enemies, the condemnation of religious authorities, the blood thirst of the mob and the indifference of the Romans. It was the utter abandonment he felt before God. He did not deserve that; he did not bring it upon himself; he did not earn it.

Can a cross be a blessing? Can the worse disaster of my life be a grace; perhaps even a calling? This is, as Saint Paul says of Marriage, a "great mystery."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.