Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 252


He said to them, “You belong to what is below,
I belong to what is above.
You belong to this world,
but I do not belong to this world.
That is why I told you that you will die in your sins.
For if you do not believe that I AM,
you will die in your sins.”


We often hear about the Catholic Church's accusations of heresy against Galileo. Copernicus had studied the patterns of the planets as they moved through the sky and realized the old theories could not explain the facts. He postulated that the Earth and the other planets orbited the Sun, though he had no idea what force held them in place.(Isaac Newton later developed the theory of gravity.) 

Galileo turned the recently-invented telescope on the sky and saw the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. They were orbiting the giant planets in the same manner as Copernicus' planets circled the Sun. He saw with his own eyes what Copernicus suspected. 

Leaders of the Church were skeptical and plotted to have Galileo punished for his wild theories, although they could (and some did) see the same mysterious action around the giant planets. 

Okay. We have egg on our face these many centuries later.

But today's critics of the Church cling to their own "flat earth" theories as they ignore evidence of the spiritual world. Rather than see a divine purpose in Evolution and Salvation History, they postulate our majestic, utterly beautiful universe may be one of billions. That would explain the unlikely odds of there being intelligent life in ours. But even they admit the theory, by definition, cannot be demonstrated. A scientific notion -- whether it be creationism or multiple universes -- that cannot be demonstrated can never become a theory. 

The fact of human life demands to be explained and all they can do is wonder, "What are the odds?" 

Jesus might say to these scientific skeptics, "You belong to what is below; I belong to what is above." 

Christians, like most religious people, cannot be satisfied with a flat earth. We look for deeper meaning and purpose in our lives. Given that life is difficult for everyone why do we continue to believe in each other, hope for better times, and love so affectionately? Why do some people who seem to carry unbearable burdens shine with such radiant joy? For that matter, why are some of our privileged people so greedy, insecure and unhappy? 

As I meet with Veterans at the hospital I speak of "the development and maintenance of the will to live." Many find in our Christian faith the answer, "God has willed that I should live; Jesus has saved me that I might live; the Holy Spirit enlivens me. I do so in grateful, joyous obedience." 

We live in imitation of Jesus, who was obedient to his Father. 
He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.”



P.S (Interestingly, Dana Sobel pointed out on NPR recently that medieval philosophy never believed the Earth is the center of the universe. It was more like a sin-riddled slum, compared to the pristine beauty of God's heavenly spheres.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.