Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday of Divine Mercy

Lectionary: 43

 
In this you rejoice, although now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.



Today’s gospel does not record the fright of the disciples when the Lord suddenly appeared to them but it suggests they did not know him until “he showed them his hands and his side.”

What they saw, of course, were his wounds and they recalled the words of Isaiah, “He was pierced for our sins, crushed for our iniquity.”

Christian art rarely describes these wounds as grotesque or horrible. They are beautiful, like diamonds and emeralds, and more precious. Some pictures, like the San Damiano crucifix, show them pouring blood into chalices.

When do my wounds and yours become beautiful?

Is it possible that injuries, wounds, disappointments, failure and betrayal are the deepest, most wonderful blessings God has given to me? Will I someday learn gratitude for my sufferings?

Yesterday I recalled the questions and answers of the Baltimore Catechism. I don’t remember what answer it gave to those questions. Perhaps it did not address them. If it did, I was not ready to learn.

I confess I have occasionally boasted of my crosses, and acknowledged their blessed fruit -- later. But my next prayer is generally, “I have suffered enough already, Lord, but thanks for the offer.”

In today’s second reading Saint Peter urges his people to recognize the ostracism, public shaming and persecutions they suffer as more precious than fire-tried gold, “In this you rejoice….”

We often regard our trials and sickness as undeserved punishment and unearned penalties. In their undeserved-ness and unearned-ness they resemble grace. They are grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.