Thursday, June 13, 2019

Memorial of Saint Anthony of Padua, Priest and Doctor of the Church


You have heard that it was said to your ancestors,
You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.
But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother
will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, 'Raqa,' will be answerable to the Sanhedrin,
and whoever says, 'You fool,' will be liable to fiery Gehenna.


Secular counselors, therapists and psychologists, along with many spiritual directors, have earnestly encouraged their clients not to feel guilty for their anger. Anger is natural, anger is human, there is nothing shameful about anger, they insist.
But I have also heard a well-respected Catholic deacon rage against that very popular opinion. He sounded angry about it!
Some people -- and I count myself -- are just angry all the time. It's my first response to disappointment and frustration and and bad news and getting up in the morning. What we're angry at, and why we're angry are usually not the same thing. Anything makes me angry, but that's not why I am angry.
So when I read "...whoever is angry with his brother or sister..." I feel clouds of guilt and shame gathering above me, and the heavy hand of condemnation coming down on me. it seems that John Calvin, founder of Presbyterianism, was right. Some people are chosen for salvation; others, for damnation. Angry souls like me are doomed; and there's nothing we can do about that.
But I have found relief in that anger.
The Twelve Steps help: "we admitted we were powerless over..." anger, resentments, grudges, suspicions, stewing and so forth.
In the practice of daily prayer I recognize, "there it is again, that same old, same old anger." It's not my fault; it's nobody's fault, least of all the one who made me angry. Nobody makes me angry; it's just my normal response to anything.
It's okay. Breathe deep. Take another breath. Let it pass. It will pass.
Frustrations and disappointment have been around for a million years. They're not going to go away by my getting mad at them. Let it go. Let it be.
Whether anger is sin or not, is not my concern. It has its purposes like everything else under the sun. But it's painful, especially when it drives my foolish behavior, and when it causes me to think less of others and less of myself.
The Lord has given more than he could afford in the sacrifice of his son; I can give more than I want to give in letting go of anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.