Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Wednesday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 373

The word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:
"Fear not, Abram!
I am your shield;
I will make your reward very great."
But Abram said,
"O Lord GOD, what good will your gifts be,
if I keep on being childless
and have as my heir the steward of my house, Eliezer?"


I have heard, and I am inclined to believe, that Jews are often despised because they ask questions. Authorities don't like people who ask questions. Dishonest politicians manage publicity by refusing to allow certain journalists in the press conferences. They field the "soft balls" tossed to them by admiring writers. 
But Jews ask questions. Their children learn to query their elders during the Seder about their customs, their rituals, and existential questions about freedom of thought, faith and worship. 
"Why does a Jew answer a question with a question?" "And why shouldn't a Jew answer a question with a question?"
So the father of all Jews, Abraham, asked God, "What good will your gifts be if I have no children?" Zechariah asked the haughty Angel Gabriel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.” -- for which he was given a sign of muteness for nine months! 
Mary asked a similar question, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” and was given a respectful answer. (Perhaps the Messenger had been told to go easier on the future Queen of Angels.) 
"Ask and you shall receive!" Jesus encouraged his disciples. We should ask our tradition -- and the teachers of our tradition -- the hard questions that arise among us today. What is wrong with premarital sex? With abortion? With suicide? Do we have to do everything the priest or bishop says? Is it possible that some religious leaders are wolves in sheep's clothing? Is it really a sin to vote for a Democratic candidate? ...for a Republican candidate? 
May we share Eucharist with Christians of other denominations if they recognize the sacredness of the sacrament? If a person is baptized Catholic but receives no instruction and never receives First Communion or Confirmation, are they really Catholic? Is their marriage not valid? Why are some Uniate priests married and Roman Catholic priests are not permitted to marry?
I work in a very public place, the VA hospital in Louisville, but few people ask me questions. Where is the curiosity? Where is the spiritual hunger I hear about?  Where is God in your life? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.