Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Wednesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time


Take care not to perform righteous deeds
in order that people may see them;
otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

We're all familiar with the children (of all ages) who attend church to see and be seen. As sins go, it's forgivable if a bit obnoxious. Nowadays there are better places, like the shopping mall and the football game, for that.
As familiar is the supporter of charitable causes who wants his name emblazoned on the donors list. But professional fund raisers say that is not the most important reason people give; it is well behind 1) who asks, 2) how well they ask, and 3) the attraction of the cause itself. Most donors, in fact, believe in the charities they support. They usually have a personal investment in the effort, like former flood victims who rally to assist recent flood victims.
Nevertheless, we hear Jesus' warning and ponder it. Am I doing this good work for a good reason?
A volunteer at the blood donation center recently asked why I gave blood. "Because I can!" seemed like a weak reason. "To give back, I suppose." I was given two pints of blood a quarter century ago. I usually feel extra zip on the day after I give. Medieval doctors noticed that and over-prescribed bleeding for many illnesses. My uncle gave many gallons of blood over the course of his life, beginning during his Korean War service. It's a family thing? "I don't know." may have been the best answer. Perhaps it's the Holy Spirit.
With his admonition Jesus reminds us of the three traditional ways of practicing our faith: prayer, fasting and almsgiving. If we do them for show we'll soon find better reasons not to do them.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church summarizes reasons for prayer in paragraph 2644
The Holy Spirit who teaches the Church and recalls to her all that Jesus said also instructs her in the life of prayer, inspiring new expressions of the same basic forms of prayer: blessing, petition, intercession, thanksgiving, and praise.
Of fasting, the Catechism says little, " Addressed to the every nation and culture on Earth, it does not recommend any particular form. Paragraph 1438 suggests fasting as one way to observe the penitential seasons of Advent and Lent, along with prayer and almsgiving. We should notice, however, that every religion practices some kind of dietary restriction. It's hard to imagine a full-bodied religion that would ignore our need for healthy disciplines of the body.
Finally, Jesus urges us to give alms. Giving to the needy sometimes feels like trying to fill a bottomless pit. There is no end of it. They always want more. But neither is there an end of God's mercy. We should do what we can.
If I do not practice my religion that people may see them, I hope the Lord notices. God knows I do nothing perfectly, least of all my prayer, fasting and charitable works; but I believe our merciful God, who is nothing if not humble, accepts my effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.