Saturday, June 15, 2019

Saturday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 388


The love of Christ impels us, once we have come to the conviction that one died for all; therefore, all have died. He indeed died for all, so that those who live might no longer live for themselves
but for him who for their sake died and was raised.


Songwriters, poets, and other mystical types have reminded us so often of our "common humanity," and that we are all "one," the thought has become a commonplace. If it is nonetheless true it has little social or political meaning. We hear the sermon and are still politically divided, racially fragmented and socially isolated. 

I hear it stated occasionally as, "There is only one God and we all pray to him, right?" 
To which I reply, in my mind, "Not really. I don't know who you worship."
My study of various religions and cultures has persuaded me that we know God by our religious ceremonies. No ceremonies, no rituals, no celebrations of faith adds up to no relationship with God. How you worship makes all the difference in who you worship. 

In many parts of the world, spectator sports has replaced God-oriented religion as the principle way to celebrate common values and beliefs. Sports teach teamwork, athleticism, cooperation, the sacredness of rules, sportsmanship, camaraderie, and the supreme value of ability. Add the Star-Spangled Banner to the opening ceremonies and you have a complete religion with a recognizable congregation. 
Case in point: A turning point in American values arrived when African-American athletes proved they could play as well as "white" athletes. White managers wanted men like Joe Lewis, Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Wilt Chamberlain, Arthur Ashe and many others, regardless of their color, and the fans followed. If some hardened racists complained, they were told to act more Christian, as if Christianity had anything to do with it. 
Consequently, when we board an airplane or enter the hospital for surgery, we don't care what "color" their airline pilot or surgeon might be. We want proven ability! We don't even ask what god these people might worship. The American religion of sports teaches integrity. That's a good thing.  

But what is this I hear? 
Some referees and umpires are bending the rules for superstars. The biggest names in pro sports can intimidate the officials with the enthusiastic support of their fan base, and the officials back off. Like the wealthiest one percent and the president, some athletes are above the law. 

Being Catholic, I worship the One who died for all, and his Father with his Holy Spirit. The Catholic liturgy always worships the Father, through the Son, in the Holy Spirit. I spend time in prayer with Mary and the saints. I honor the marriage of man and woman with the life of celibacy. I confess my sins with my fellow penitents, including our sins against minorities in the United States. I pledge some allegiance to the American flag but I worship the God who was revealed many centuries before any flag appeared. 

But many people do not know the God who died for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.