Saturday, June 1, 2019

Memorial of Saint Justin, Martyr


The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures but I will tell you clearly about the Father.


In today's gospel, during the Last Supper, Jesus promises a new revelation when he will no longer "speak to you in figures." 
But all human language is in figures. Words are figures, or symbols, that point to another reality. Precise (or scientific) language attempts to use words that have only one clear meaning for the author/speaker and the target audience; at its best the process is slippery. If both sides use the words well they will check and double-check to make sure they understand each other.
But in everyday speech we presume the other(s) understand(s) what I am (we are) trying to say, and the audience assume(s) we got it right. Until we discover the mistake(s).
You see what I mean.

If scientific language is hard to nail down with precise definitions, religious language seems to resist definitions. I had a "serious" discussion with a priest friend some time ago over the meaning of three. I argued that, while the doctrine of the Trinity is revealed in scripture, it doesn't rely on the word three, but rather on the presence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit throughout the Old and New Testaments.
"That's three!" he argued.
"Yes," I said, "but you cannot count, you cannot use mathematical language, to speak of God!"
I don't think my friend knew what I was getting at.
He accused me of redefining words to fit my own arguments, like Humpty Dumpty in his rude conversation with Alice.
I replied that the (rude) controversy with the Arians, in which the Trinity was defined, was all about the precise definition of words as they used them, and the bishops' refusal to define God.
A good time was had by all.

If Jesus will no longer speak to us in figures, it's because he will breathe into our hearts the Spirit that does not rely on words; that finds, creates, and enunciates the words of human speech as we sing, shout and whisper our prayers. They are the figures, gestures, symbols and sacraments that we understand despite their lack of precise definition. Can you define a genuflection or a sign of the cross? Can you explain, "This is the Day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad?" (...and why did you capitalize day?)

A scientific language is understood only by those who have mastered that particular language, Similarly, the language of faith is understood only by those who have received, welcomed, and embraced the Spirit of Jesus, who will tell us clearly about the Father.

Come join us today for our MountFest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.