Thursday, February 6, 2020

Memorial of Saint Paul Miki and Companions, martyrs


Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two
and gave them authority over unclean spirits.
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick
–no food, no sack, no money in their belts.
They were, however, to wear sandals but not a second tunic.

I knew a fellow in Australia many years ago who suffered with severe mental illness, and shared his misery with family, friends and neighbors. But he also had a sense of humor and an adventurous spirit. He told me one day that he planned to take a vacation in Germany. Now I knew that he had no job and lived with his mother, and neither had much income. How could he afford a trip halfway around the world?
A mutual acquaintance explained it to me, "No one has told him it can't be done. So he'll do it."
When Jesus sent the Twelve on their first missionary venture, and eventually to the whole world, he didn't explain to them how they should manage the financial strain. Nor do we find much straining in the New Testament accounts of their travels. They went where the Spirit told them to go. The bills got paid.
Of the four kinds of capital -- intellectual, social, virtue, and money -- money is the most easily acquired and the least important. A society that values knowledge (skills and learning), connections (trust in one another), virtue (personal integrity and reliable institutions), will never suffer for money. People will get things done because they know whom to rely on for honest information.
Likewise, an inspired Church that announces the Truth and demonstrates its commitment to the Truth will not lack support. A shortage of cash cannot slow the Gospel's advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.