Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Tuesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 336



Blessed is he who perseveres in temptation,
for when he has been proven he will
receive the crown of life that he promised to those who love him.

The Gospel today gives us a story of Jesus' perseverance with his disciples. "Do you still not understand?" he demands of them. 
Actually, no. They don't understand. They thought he was speaking about ordinary bread, made from wheat or barley, when he warned them of "the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod." 
What kind of bread do Democrats eat? or Republicans? or Independents? We're not talking about white, rye, or pumpernickel. 
Jesus persists in teaching them through parables and riddles because ordinary language cannot open their minds to the Truth. They must be baffled and confused and finally bewildered before they will turn attentively to him and ask for his Spirit. 
The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name—he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.
The disciples must also persevere with Jesus, waiting for their minds to be opened by his discipline. They will recognize his human frustration in his words, "Do you still not understand?  
I once "sat at the feet" (metaphorically) of a wise woman who practically shouted at me, "Ken, what am I supposed to do? If I advise you you don't want advice! If I sympathize with you, you don't want sympathy! What am I supposed to do?"
I couldn't answer at that moment. But I took a long walk and her frustration sank in. I liked the woman but I wasn't working with her. I was holding onto something, my pride or arrogance or resentments. She wasn't failing me. Neither was anyone else. It was me! I was the problem. 
I had to change. I realized it. I had to change my attitudes and my behavior and my habitual ways. My ways didn't work for me anymore, if they ever had. 
When I went back to her office a week later I said, "Okay, I'm ready to work with you."
It was her angry frustration that got through to me. No argument, reason, or persuasion could touch me. I had to feel her hot anger in my face and realize what I was doing to her. 
"Do you still not understand?" Jesus demands of us. 
We're often so terrified of God's anger we suppose that he cannot be. "God is so good and so patient and so nice, he can never be upset with me!" 
Get over it. As Lent approaches we might finally allow the Lord to be angry with us and let his wrath wash over us, and hear the threat of justice avenged; and ask his Advocate to remind us finally of all he told us about mercy and justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.