Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Lectionary: 220

Then he said to all,  “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

I've read a bit about Buddhism and yoga and have experimented with some of their practices. One fascinating exercise is "one nostril breathing." Assuming a comfortable seated position, I pinch my nose to close one nostril, then inhale and exhale one breath. And then, I release that nostril to close the other one, and repeat. 
Back and forth, back and forth, one nostril, then the other, and wait for nothing in particular. At first it seems I cannot keep this up very long; I'll be short of oxygen and have to gasp to regain my equilibrium. But as the time passes, I realize I am still here, still short of oxygen, but not gasping, panting, or fainting. I am just acutely aware of my breath. 
I experience the imminence of death; I must breathe to live. If I don't get the air I need, I will perish within a few minutes. 
Sometimes, in meditation, with or without pinching a nostril, I inhale and exhale and experience a pause when I don't have to inhale immediately. I am "good" for a little while. In the interval I have a kind of freedom. I think, "Shall I breathe now, or wait a little while?" I don't have to wait till I am desperate, but I can say to myself, "I think I will breathe now. Ahh! That's very nice." 
We have heard Moses today reminding us to "Choose life!" Breath is life and these exercises remind me to breathe and thank God for breath. I know people who want to improve the experience of breathing with tobacco, marijuana, or vapor. Without much knowledge of these practices, I still think the most satisfactory way to breathe is without pollutants. 
"Choose Life!" Moses said, and Jesus added the word daily. There is no time like the present. 
Lent reminds us of this critical moment; it confronts us with a crisis. "Now is the acceptable time!" I must breathe now. I cannot put it off till tomorrow. I must repent today; tomorrow may be too late. 
Lord, thank you for this moment of grace. Help me to accept this moment, and this opportunity, so that I might be alive tomorrow to accept the graces and opportunities that come tomorrow. 
Freedom, like grace, is always this moment. It cannot be put off till tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.