Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Wednesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 337

Know this, my dear brothers and sisters:
everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger
for anger does not accomplish
the righteousness of God.
Therefore, put away all filth and evil excess
and humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you
and is able to save your souls.



A fellow spoke to me of his anger issue one time. I asked him how often he got angry with his wife. "Every day!" he said. 
"You're right; you have a problem with anger."
Anger is not unlike alcohol, cigarettes, and other addictive substances. It's origen, as Saint James knew so well, is the self. Battling against the reality of other people and their habits, ideas and preferences; against circumstances; and personal failings, inabilities, and weakness, some people get angry habitually. By default. 
Actually by choice. But they like to say, He, she, they, or you "made me angry." 
I used to blame people for my drinking alcohol. I called it social pressure until I discovered there is no such thing. It's all in the head, in one's imagination. When I admitted no one made me drink, and that I was doing it myself although I didn't enjoy it, I quit. 
I grieved for a while. I thought of all the promises that alcohol had made to me, though they were never kept. My social acceptance among others, my suavity, and charm, not to mention the fun and freedom from constraint that alcohol promised: I grieved the loss of these false promises. 
Anger, too, promises accomplishment and the satisfaction of one's desires. If people are afraid of your anger they'll do what you want! That's power! It's very seductive. 
Until people quit being afraid of your anger. Then you're just a fool. 
"Anger," Saint James says, "does not accomplish the righteousness of God." 
If there are short term gains by raising one's voice, God will have to undo them. The Kingdom of God is built on the solid foundation of our fidelity. 
Therefore, put away all filth and evil excess
and humbly welcome the word that has been planted in you
and is able to save your souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.