Thursday, April 9, 2020

Holy Thursday – Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper

Lectionary: 39



Jesus answered him, “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.” Simon Peter said to him, “Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well.”


During this COVID-19 epidemic, priests will celebrate today’s solemn mass only in private with a few individuals. They will not wash their feet. As the pastor of a parish and presider over the ceremony, I have washed a few feet (with water, a towel, and no soap) but I don’t remember when I volunteered to have my feet washed. Given the opportunity I react, “No, thanks!” It’s like a knee jerk response. In that regard I feel Saint Peter’s reluctance. 
I had a similar reaction several years ago when, at the beginning of a retreat addressed to Franciscan friars, I heard the words of Jesus, “Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome….” I have recited that verse hundreds of times to Veterans. But that evening, I was startled to realize the Lord was speaking to me.
The foot washing ceremony has become popular in many Christian churches. Some do it more often than the eucharist. Until recently, the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church did not permit children or women to have their feet washed, although the rule was flouted by priests, bishops and the Pope. I suppose the principle was that Jesus washed the feet of his coworkers, those who were invested in his spirit. He would be servus servorum dei, “the servant of the servants of God.”
Washing the feet of street people or prisoners, as the Pope has done, demonstrates a genuine concern for the least among us, but it misses another important point: I cannot serve if I am not willing to be served. As Saint John tells the story, Jesus threatened to disinherit Peter if he could not wash his feet!
Very often hospital patients repeat the tiresome complaint, “I don’t want to be a burden.” I have rarely heard that from those who are burdensome. It’s more often from those who have cared to the point of exhaustion for their aging parents, infirmed spouse, or handicapped children.
If we would belong to the Lord we must give and receive; we cannot stand apart from, or over, needy human beings only giving and never receiving. We are all quite desperate; only the arrogant would deny it. Peter was forgetting that when he made his silly remark. 
If some people ask too much, they are no more tiresome than those who refuse to ask for anything. They need help but, because they won't ask, we have to figure out what they want -- preferably before the problem becomes a crisis
We're in this together. Surely, the coronavirus must teach us that. If we haven't learned it yet, we may need another pandemic. 
Dear God, open our hearts and teach us what we must learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.