Sunday, April 26, 2020

Third Sunday of Easter


Lectionary: 46


Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted; my flesh, too, will dwell in hope, because you will not abandon my soul to the netherworld, nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.


Our weekly Old Testament reading is embedded in the first reading from the Acts of the Apostles, and an important reminder of how dependent we are on the Hebrew Scriptures. As Saint Jerome said, “Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ.”
Saint Peter quotes Psalm 16 as he announces the Resurrection of Jesus:

Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices;
my body also dwells secure,
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
nor let your devout one see the pit.
Just as Abraham’s son Isaac was restored to life after his near-death on Mount Moriah, the Son of God has been restored to life after his very real death, when he “descended into Hell.” But it was inconceivable that God should abandoned his Only Begotten Son to the netherworld, nor would he allow his flesh to see corruption.
Given our experience of life, family, companionship, church, and faith, we cannot imagine – we rebel against! – the notion that we are annihilated by death. We are simply convinced that the Lord who has shepherded us these many centuries will usher us through death. It is no more than a portal for us into another, more wonderful adventure in love.
Modern philosophy, dominated by materialism, supposes that individual existence collapses with the body. Our carbon components might find a second life in vegetation or flesh; but the person, they say, is gone.
But Faith expects the resurrection of the dead, final judgement, and endless bliss for the saved. We don’t pretend to explain how this might happen, although there will always be an imaginative industry to feed that curiosity. We are satisfied that God has promised it!
Moreover, we care about the dead. We pray for their eternal rest during the Eucharistic prayer of every Mass. And we don’t mind asking them to pray for us. (They must have more time on their hands than we do!) We can hope they have forgiven the wrongs we did to them; surely their bliss has healed and soothed away all that! And we pray that we might forgive them, especially if they died by suicide.
Our belief in Eternal Life begins with our conviction that the Father of Jesus would not abandon his soul to Sheol, nor let his devout one see the pit. Whether you or I deserve eternal life: that question will always remain open. But Jesus, who died a most horrible death on the cross in love for us surely deserved the Resurrection he enjoyed!
And we enjoy it with him! Our champion as been raised up despite the triumph of his enemies. Could the Lord enjoy eternity without you and me? I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.