Saturday, April 4, 2020

Saturday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 256

No longer shall they defile themselves with their idols, their abominations, and all their transgressions. I will deliver them from all their sins of apostasy, and cleanse them so that they may be my people and I may be their God. My servant David shall be prince over them, and there shall be one shepherd for them all; they shall live by my statutes and carefully observe my decrees.


North American geography is dotted with memories of utopian societies. Mormons, Shakers, Quakers, Mennonites, Amish, and Harmonists -- to name a few -- built small towns that regulated the public and personal life of their citizens. Many expected to present to the Lord their pristine communities upon his arrival, which could occur at any moment. Some practiced celibacy with the confidence that new members would keep the faith even if the charter members passed away. 

They hoped that that by their zeal and serious observance of a sober way of life, they would not defile themselves with the idols of their contemporaries, nor pollute themselves with abominations and transgressions
Some quietly faded away; some morphed into less demanding societies; a few disbanded with disagreements and disgrace as the strain of waiting took its toll.
The Catholic Church has its own memory of celibate communities since our earliest days. First there were the hermits who alone in the wilderness; and then the monasteries, the mendicants, and innumerable societies and congregations. Groups of vowed men and women usually practiced celibacy along with their simple way of life, but married layfolk also formed their own tertiary groups to support one another in a more disciplined, prayerful life. 
The Spirit of God never lets us abandon the hope that we might be cleansed. We want to be found worthy on that Great Day of judgement and redemption. 

As we enter Holy Week, we remember this spirited tradition. The Church calls upon all the faithful to walk with the Lord more intensely during Holy Week, this octave of days from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday. We have fasted, prayed, confessed our sins, and practiced charity for the past several weeks. We are swept into the drama, horror and beauty of our salvation. 

"So great was God's love for us that when we were dead because of our sins, he brought us to life in Christ Jesus." (Antiphon of Evening Prayer One, Laetare Sunday.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.