Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tuesday of the Third Week of Easter


 So they said to Jesus, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”


The plea in today’s gospel, “Sir, give us this bread always,” echoes the prayer of the woman at the well in John 4, “Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.”
However, she became his “apostle” as she returned to her village and urged everyone to go meet the Lord, whereas the crowd in John 6 turned away from him.
The critical difference is not simply that she heard his word, but that she spoke to others about him, ““Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could he possibly be the Messiah?”
During this pandemic the Church has suffered particularly because we could not invite others to come to Mass with us. Even in the VA hospital, where people routinely meet in small groups in close spaces, no one is permitted to be in the large chapel with the priest during Mass. They are told to participate “spiritually” by watching the television. As if....

The crowd in John 6 supposed they could find salvation by some means other than the immediate presence of the Lord. They would not come close enough to eat his flesh or drink his blood. But he did not come to establish a school of thought, or an ideological party. He will demand more of them than they’re willing to give; he will give more of himself than they choose to receive. They must put aside their personal preferences and their fear of engagement and let themselves be drawn into the relentless presence of Jesus.
While Jesus’ intentions are clearly “spiritual” they do not permit a disembodied response. A willingness to do good and avoid evil will save no one. Nor will a cool, disengaged sympathy for a heroic, suffering savior. Intellectual agreement with his teachings also means nothing. There is no life apart from the body of Christ.
By Baptism and Eucharist, we are incorporated into the body of Christ, becoming members of his person, as arms and legs are members of the human body. The eucharist gives us that knowledge of good and evil which fascinated the first matriarch Eve. We become like God by the Spirit that animates us, directing our decisions, actions, and desires. Becoming holy as God is holy, we are the carnal presence of God in our world.
If we appreciate his demands we can understand why so many turned away from Jesus. He wants more than we can afford to give! But his Spirit still moves in us, and we turn toward him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.