Friday, April 24, 2020

Friday of the Second Week of Easter

Lectionary: 271

When they had had their fill, he said to his disciples, “Gather the fragments left over, so that nothing will be wasted.”


Today we begin a series of readings from John 6. In our Catholic tradition, we find cardinal teachings about the Eucharist in this chapter. The Lord will insist, 
“Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."
We take these words in the most literal fashion. When the Lord begins a teaching with, "Amen, Amen, I say to you...." we have to suppose his words mean what they sound like. He would surely offer some further explanation, apology, or -- as the news media would call it, "he would walk back the statement." -- if he intended only a metaphor.
But I do not intend to write a diatribe against other Christian denominations about how they interpret these words or celebrate their Eucharist. 

Rather, I ask myself, "What does this teaching do to me?"   

How I explain it is not terribly important. Should someone ask, after I've said that I've not had a drink of alcohol in forty years, "Don't you drink wine during the Mass?" I reply, "I drink the Blood of Jesus." They do not ask and I do not offer any further explanation. Why would I waste my breath on the inexplicable?

The real question is, "What does this teaching do to me?" The same chapter six leads us deeper into the mystery without explaining anything, 
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
In Baptism I died and rose with Christ, in the Eucharist I have life. I am not trying to parse this mystery into component, manageable parts; there is no essential difference between these two sacraments
They enfold me in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

Saint Francis described this mystery in his address to Mary, "... you are the daughter of the Most Holy Father, king of heaven and earth, mother of the most holy Lord Jesus Christ, and Spouse of the Holy Spirit." 

Baptism and Eucharist draw the Christian into the enfolding presence of God. We walk in the mystery like married persons who are always in one another's company even when they are miles apart. 
Saint Paul explains it in his own way in Colossians, chapter 3:
...you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above, not of what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ your life appears, then you too will appear with him in glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.