Friday, May 3, 2019

Feast of Saints Philip and James, Apostles

After that he appeared to James,
then to all the Apostles.
Last of all, as to one born abnormally,
he appeared to me.


In his First Letter to the Corinthians Saint Paul recites what appears to an early history of the gospel. He says he "handed on to you as of first importance what I also received..." This was, in a word, the "tradition." He doesn't say who taught him this formula -- one of the twelve apostles? an eyewitness of the resurrected Lord? -- because that's not important. It was there already; it was a statement like the Lord's Prayer, recited from memory and belonging to everyone who believed in Jesus.
It began with, "...Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures...." and included Jesus' resurrection, and appearances to Cephas, the Twelve, five hundred brothers, James and all the apostles.

But the story is still very new and developing. One unexpected development, it seems, appears in Paul's comment, "most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep." He and other Christians might have expected the Lord's second coming before any believers died. But it now appears that the entire generation of original witnesses might pass away, while the faith and the church perdure.

Paul's secondary interest, an aside, is his abnormal birth into the story. There may be a bit of self-deprecating humor in that remark. Paul, the Pharisee, once hostile to all things Christian, unexpectedly found his place in the story of salvation. But his immediate interest is the traditional Gospel which he preached. He turns back to that topic in verse eleven, "Therefore, whether it be I or they, so we preach and so you believed."
But I am fascinated by his personal aside. It's an invitation to you and me to find our place in the same story, these many generations later.

As I consider my own story -- from Louisville through the seminary to ordination, and then to Ohio, Wisconsin, Australia, Canada, Minnesota (twice), Louisiana and back to Louisville, encountering many, many people -- I suppose I too have found a place in Salvation History. I could list in this story all the churches and chapels where I prayed. More important is the cycle of seasons -- Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter and Ordinary time -- and all the liturgies we have celebrated.
Like Paul, we find our place in the Gospel, which is both a message and a history. Along the way our thoughts, dreams and imagination conform to the formulas of our tradition. We become typical Christians and Catholics.

Integrity for the baptized is a process of integration as we find our lives penetrated and illuminated by the gospel. We are initiated into the faith, and catechized by careful instruction. We carry our allotted crosses, experiencing disappointment, injury, tragedy and grief. We survive to share our stories with others, each one thanking God for the blessings of healing and hope; for the privilege of carrying our cross with the Crucified. We announce our gospel to others as they find their places among us. 

Like Saint Paul, any one of us could wonder if they were "born abnormally" into the Church; but, in fact, each of has been reborn in the Spirit and perfectly formed by God's mercy. We are beautiful in God's sight and grateful to be here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.