Sunday, May 26, 2019

Sixth Sunday of Easter


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give it to you.
Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.


Several years ago, I hired a fellow to clean the church hall. We had tried to rent the hall to families and other groups and, despite the deposit that would not be refunded unless they cleaned up after themselves, they left a mess. So I raised the refundable amount and hired a custodian.
He was a good man and grateful for employment, but kind of simple. He complained a lot about the people who didn't clean up after themselves.
"But," I told him, "you'd have no job if they cleaned up!"
Christians should not be surprised that there is trouble in the world. That's why the Lord sent us.
The question is sometimes raised on a higher philosophical plane, "Why does a Good, Omnipotent, Omniscient God allow bad things to happen to good people?"
What kind of question is that?
Of course there is trouble. Always was, always will be.
Easter celebrates Jesus' victory over sin and death. No sin or death? No victory!
And what would we celebrate then?
"Your brother has come home! We have to celebrate!"
Why celebrate the sunrise in the morning unless the night is long and painful?
Christian contemplation looks at glorious mornings and spectacular sunsets. We also ponder natural catastrophes, incurable disease, intractable political problems, and reckless senseless violence. Aghast, we look at these horrors with open minds and hearts and ask, "Where are you, God?"
Invariably, as we wait, the Spirit of God comes to us, bringing assurance, courage and guidance. Despite our helplessness we act.
The Lord is there in our waiting and asking, in our patience and impatience, in our helplessness and our action.
The Lord is there in the peace he left with us; in the peace we bring to our friends, neighbors, opponents and enemies.
Those who act in the Spirit of Jesus are not troubled or afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.