Sunday, May 5, 2019

Third Sunday of Easter


I, John, looked and heard the voices of many angels who surrounded the throne and the living creatures and the elders.
They were countless in number, and they cried out in a loud voice: "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches, wisdom and strength, honor and glory and blessing."


Most children raised in a Christian family suppose that heaven will be pretty much like church. That would give anybody pause to think. And if they attended a few choir practices, realizing there will be a lot of singing in that celestial church, they might take a longer pause. They might ask, "So when do we get to go outside and play?"
Having attended more than my share of celebrations in church -- and some that were frankly tedious -- I hope that the heavenly ceremonies retain some element of entertainment. Although I concede we're not there to be entertained.
But, that being said, I enjoy praising God. I especially enjoy praising the Lamb that was slain as I consider his terrible death and glorious resurrection. I am ready to say with my Louisiana friends, "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"  ("Let the Good times roll!")
This Easter season is a prolonged celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death. It runs a full fifty days from Easter to Pentecost, with two extra Sundays to celebrate the Holy Trinity and Corpus Christi. In fact, every Sunday of the year is Easter, which is why we are loathe to replace the Sunday celebration with a saint's memorial. It is "the Lord's Day!"
The victory celebration continues in our daily prayers throughout the year, for our faith means nothing unless it is rooted in and aspires to Easter. Just as the custodian in our old schools and churches had to stoke the coal furnace every morning, we must return to prayer daily to prepare for the day's challenges. A cup of coffee helps but it's no substitute for hearing "the voices of many angels who surround... the throne and the living creatures and the elders." For we do not live by coffee alone.
Each day brings its challenges. As Jesus said in that marvelous King James rendition, "Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof." Living in a world gone insane with partisan politics and consumer entertainment, we must stop everything and say from the depths of this bottomless abyss, "Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will." And, periodically, "Save me, Lord!"
Nor should we expect a Sunday Mass to satisfy those needs for escape and relief. I have celebrated Sundays with people so exhausted by the cacophony in their media-saturated homes they could barely say, "Amen." If the Mass is to do anything more than "touch the bases" of an obligation, we should come prepared, alert in mind and body. That discipline of readiness also anticipates the pleasure of Eternal Life. If we rest in peace we will also sing and dance in peace.
What a great day that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.