Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Wednesday of the Third Week of Easter

Lectionary: 275

Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,
and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.
And this is the will of the one who sent me,
that I should not lose anything of what he gave me,
but that I should raise it on the last day.


Miguel de Unamuno, a twentieth century Spanish philosopher, (and Catholic to the core,) described the difference between Catholics and Protestants like this: Catholics begin with rituals that might inspire them to correct moral/ethical behavior. Protestants start with a decision to act morally/ethically and support the decision with religious practice. (Did not the Reformation begin with the realization that rituals had failed to create a just, merciful society?)
I think of his suggestion when I read Jesus' description of his mission. He has come to do the Father's will, and that includes the salvation of the world. He saves us not because he wants to -- although he does -- but because his Father has sent him to do it.
He does not begin out of a pious decision to "do the right thing," but rather from an eager willingness to please his dear Father.
The Catholic, inspired by the Eucharist, can only want to please God by acts of mercy toward others. Removed from the Eucharist, the Communion of the Saints, the daily prayers and devotions, the Catholic has no reason, inspiration or impetus to do right. At best he might want "to do well by doing good," which is the first step toward corruption in business, government and church. ("Enlightened self-interest" is self-interest nonetheless.)
That's a theory about Protestants and Catholics that one might apply too broadly. It invites judgement. But I think it bears reflection as I ask myself, "Why do I do the good thing?"
  • Is it to avoid trouble?
  • To please people around me?
  • To flatter my self-image as a good person?
  • To fulfill my duties?
  • Or, for the Love of God?
If we ask why did Jesus do the right thing, even unto death, we have to suppose it was not the first four reasons. Surely, he did not march toward Jerusalem and certain death; surely, he did not endure flogging and mockery and humiliation and crucifixion to show us what a good guy he was. Or to prove that to himself!
He triumphed in this trial by keeping his eyes fixed on the loving gaze of God his Father. No torment could force him to look anywhere else. Even as the Oblivion of Death washed over him, consuming his consciousness, he still waited and trusted and looked into the Void for the Face of God.
As we practice our faith, taking up our daily chores and challenges, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, we realize nothing is impossible for God, nor for those who love God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.