Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Memorial of Saint Gregory the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church


Jesus went down to Capernaum, a town of Galilee. He taught them on the sabbath,
and they were astonished at his teaching
because he spoke with authority.


In Saint Matthew's gospel, Jesus has no sooner finished his Sermon on the Mount, leaving the crowds "astonished at his teaching," than he is challenged by a man afflicted with leprosy, "Lord, if you wish to, you can make me clean!"
Today's gospel from Saint Luke tells a similar story. Jesus finishes his amazing sermon in the synagogue of Nazareth, while the people remain "astonished at his teaching," and a demon challenges him from the mouth of a possessed man. Again, Jesus demonstrates his supreme authority with a rebuke, "Be quiet. Come out of him!"
Americans believe deep in our democratic bones that we give authority to our leaders so long as their term of office lasts. When that term is complete, we take it back and bestow it upon someone else. This is just as true of our religious authorities as it is of our government officials.
Among American Protestants there has been an anarchist strain which says, "I am my own authority with none above me. I decide what church I should attend, what I should believe, what is right and wrong, and what I owe to God."
Catholics may have a different sense of the authority of their bishops and priests but the clergy should not overplay their hand. When push comes to shove, laity often vote with their feet.

But, like it or not, authority doesn't always come from the governed. It may come by the force of arms and an occupying army. It may be imposed from powerful persons when democratic methods fail. It might even be welcomed by a grateful people who admit they cannot save themselves.

If some of his old neighbors wondered, "Who does he think he is?" it's pretty clear in the Gospels who Jesus thinks he is. The Son of God entertains no self-doubt. From the first verses of all four gospels, Jesus knew his relationship to the Father and his destiny in Jerusalem. He invited disciples to come with him, to be saved by his mission, and then to announce it to the world. As "witnesses" they would be consumed by his Spirit. Eating his body and drinking his blood, they would be raised up by his death to eternal life. 
He announced no other way to salvation. There is no other escape from the doom that threatens every nation and people, regardless of their various religions.
In today's gospel, many were astonished by Jesus' teaching, and put off by his obvious authority. Many refused any further intercourse with him. His disciples will decide with their feet as they follow him to Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.