Friday, September 13, 2019

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church


I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord,
because he considered me trustworthy
in appointing me to the ministry.


The traditional structures of authority in the Church -- whether intentionally or not -- often create a kind of barrier between the Lord and his people. Even devout, practicing Catholics may believe that cardinals, bishops, and priests are closer to the Lord than they are. The higher-ups are apparently "more worthy" than the majority of poor schmucks. The people in the pews hope they might be allowed some time in Purgatory to atone for all their sins. The sins for which the clergy, surely, are not guilty. 
If these notions are not announced from the pulpit, they are nonetheless passed along from generation to generation, and remain deeply rooted and intractable.
Not everyone believes this, of course. Many adult Catholics, discovering that  their priests are often wrong but never in doubt, develop a fine disdain for clerical infallibility and cultivate their own rightful place in the Church. I have been reading the letters of Flannery O'Conner lately, and I enjoy the humor she used to deflect the criticism of some priests. She observed that the Church will protect her members from everything but bad taste.
When the Church was less well organized, when it was a movement spreading across the Roman Empire, and its missionaries dependent upon whoever might give them a square meal and room for the night, Saint Paul understood that every baptized Christian is trustworthy in God's eyes. Everyone is called to live, announce and serve the Good News in whatever capacity.
The Apostle Paul was well aware of his regrettable past but he had no regrets. He simply didn't have the time or energy to spend on such nonsense, nor did he think there might be some benefit to it. The Spirit impelled him to travel from city to town to village, sharing the Gospel with all he met. If he were forced to stop somewhere, he reflected on Jesus and his crucifixion. If he were jailed again -- as often happened -- he thanked God for his sharing in the suffering of Christ.
Finally, he offered himself as a model of how to be Christian. He wrote to the Philippians, (3:17)
Join with others in being imitators of me, and observe those who thus conduct themselves according to the model you have in us.
He was the parent who said to his children, "Do as I do!" with complete confidence in the Spirit who guided him. 
For many reasons, it can be difficult to find that confidence. Concerned for our own salvation, anxious about our unworthiness, we may hesitate before we make the first step toward Christ; which is dying to oneself. 
My salvation is not about me. My worth is not about me. My work is not for my benefit. When I dismiss any question of my worthiness and listen attentively to the Spirit's guidance, I discover freedom. But neither am I concerned about that freedom, for it's not mine. 

Each time I meet with the Veterans in SARRTP, (Substance Abuse Rehab Residential Treatment Program) I enter the room and immediately start pulling chairs into a closer circle. Sometimes one of the Veterans jumps up and helps. They're the ones who will recover. They have the Spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.