Friday, September 27, 2019

Memorial of Saint Vincent de Paul, Priest


Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
Peter said in reply, "The Christ of God."
He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone.


How fascinating that Jesus rebuked his disciples for Peter's answer. Perhaps even the Lord trembled at the fisherman's reply, "The Christ of God." 
"Who gave you the right to speak such a word?" he might have said. "How dare you? And openly! Here in the broad light of day!" although they were alone with him "in solitude."

The Lord had commanded Moses to "Come no nearer!" and "Take off your sandals, for this is holy ground!"  
Isaiah, seeing a vision of God in the temple, cried, "Woe is me, I am doomed!* For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"
A less experienced Peter had cried, "Go away from me! I am a sinful man!" 

To know the Lord we must cultivate a holy fear of his presence. 
You might boast of your willingness to flout convention among your friends, but were the Pope or the President of the United States to appear in your presence, you would probably find yourself awestruck and silent. If you seemed to hesitate the Secret Service or the Swiss Guard might assist you into a shell of obsequious silence. Were that August Person to look at you and say, "Who do you suppose I am?" you might be dumbstruck, unable to state the obvious. 
If we act like that among the powerful in our world, how should we act in God's presence? How do we speak God's name? 

The Lord has asked his disciples a profoundly challenging and difficult question. Should they answer it correctly, it must cost them everything: their spouses and children, their parents and families, their possessions and security. Jesus' name is like the soldier's oath when conscripted, the "I do" at a wedding, the "I am ready and willing" of a candidate to the priesthood. Everything familiar is lost; they have entered a new covenant in a new universe. 

And how do I cultivate that awareness of God's mindfulness as I live my daily life? With Baptism we gave our lives to the Lord. We renew that consecration every Easter when we again reject Satan and all his works, and again declare our belief in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We renew our vows again each Sunday as we recite the Creed and receive the Eucharist. Given the continual distractions of a tormented world, we must practice this awareness continually. 
Catechism answers, like the one Peter gave, have their usefulness. But we should often meditate upon their height, depth and breadth; and, periodically, fall silent before their terrifying majesty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.