Saturday, May 29, 2021

Memorial of Saint Paul VI, Pope

Lectionary: 352

When I was young and innocent,
    I sought wisdom openly in my prayer
I prayed for her before the temple,
    and I will seek her until the end,
    and she flourished as a grape soon ripe.


I've not been in a classroom in several years, since a sabbatical in 1995, but I fear that the education offered to young people is not about wisdom. It's about maintaining the status quo by a stronger grasp of the STEM courses: science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. 
Those who ask why these subjects are important and who made that choice may be shunted into the smallest classroom in the basement to meet the school philosopher. But if they pursue the questions and discover some answers they might be better prepared for the future as it comes at us. 
Young Christians, also, neglect the search for wisdom as they're told how right their feelings are. How often do they use the expression, "I feel" when they mean "I think?" But, in fact, they're not thinking; they're only feeling their way through a dark room without the light of wisdom or the reassuring hand of a thoughtful mentor. 
Heresies that are clearly recognizable to anyone with a passing knowledge of Church history go unchallenged. "I just feel..." justifies ignorance and invites the dreadful consequences of foolishness. 
In today's first reading, Sirach, author of Ecclesiasticus (found in Catholic bibles) urges the young to acknowledge their youth and innocence as they seek wisdom. If wisdom is not found in books it is found in reading books, listening to others, discussing ideas, critical thinking, contemplation of mysteries, and waiting for understanding. 
The study of the Bible is important not because "It's the BIBLE!" but because by it we connect with fellow believers of ancient times. When we read or sing the psalms we should feel their harmonizing presence all around us. When we study their myths and read their histories we understand that the writers were not addressing the problems of the 21st century; they were pondering their own difficult issues. And if we understand the challenges they faced and the answers they formulated, we will breathe their Spirit and be more prepared to address the problems of our time. 
When we hear their anguish and grief we weep with them, for grief remains the same in every age for all people. Surely everyone who reads the Prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel have wept over the rape of Jerusalem in 586 BC.
Likewise, when we read their songs glorifying God we stand among them, praising the same Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 
Just as King Solomon in today's first reading "prayed for her before the temple," Wisdom leads us into the Temple of our Church where we meet God face to face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.