Saturday, May 1, 2021

Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 284

Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? 



We often use expressions like, "If you knew me, you'd know..." and "Anyone who knows me, knows that...." 
Ordinarily, we want to be known; we want to belong and feel both welcome and safe among our friends and family. 
Jesus, like any one of us, also wanted intensely to be known by his disciples. He wanted his mission to be transparent; he wanted his companions to understand his passionate obedience to the Father. 
As he gathered them for his Last Supper and washed their feet, Jesus wanted them to understand what was about to happen. His crucifixion would not be an unfortunate tragedy. Despite all appearances it was not a senseless act of violence. It made all the sense in the world to those who would see and understand. 
His washed their feet. We should notice that Saint John eschews the opportunity to place the institution of the Sacrament of Eucharist during his Last Supper account. Rather, John described both Jesus's washing their feet and their horrified reluctance to let him do that. And then his absolute insistence: they could have nothing to do with him if they did not permit him to wash their feet! 
Saint Peter was so astonished that he could only wisecrack: If that's how you feel, wash my whole body! 
To know Jesus is to know his father. We sometimes work with others in a business setting for months and years without meeting their spouses or families. But if we've worked in a friendly environment, when we finally meet those strangers we say, "I feel like I've known you for years. N___ has told me all about you!" 
We know God through Jesus; there is no other way to know God. He is the Father of Jesus, and whatever Jesus does is done in joyful, willing, eager obedience to his God and Father. He will throw himself even into the terrifying business of his crucifixion as he completes the mission his Father has given him. 
Finally, he invites us to know him and his Father as we wash each others' feet with lives of service to one another. This communion begins with our Baptism and Eucharist and is completed by the Spirit who directs our thoughts, words, and deeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.