Sunday, May 9, 2021

Sixth Sunday of Easter

Lectionary: 55

If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father’s commandments
and remain in his love.
“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you
and your joy might be complete.

 

No Franciscan can hear Jesus speak of complete joy without thinking of Saint Francis’s description of “perfect joy.” His teaching, I think, is authentic although the story is apocryphal. He probably did describe this parable to Brother Leo; I don’t suppose they were ever turned away from a friary, beaten by the porter, and left to freeze in an icy ditch. But it’s a terrific story, inspiring and thought-provoking.

Joy in the spirit of Jesus is not like winning the Super Bowl, a presidential election, or a World War. Those victories settle nothing; their joy is brief and often premature.

The joy of the Lord is found in his presence. It is knowing he is with us in disappointment and in satisfaction, in grief and relief. We know the Lord’s pleasure on Monday morning as the work week begins; and we know his gladness at the end of the day when he tucks us into bed with a word of thanks. It is there in companionship and solitude. Even in the silence of God and agonized waiting, faith reassures the saints that their dark night is also God’s presence.

The servants of God keep his commandments, remain in his love, and insist they do nothing more than their duty. Going the extra mile is the least they can do.

Some scripture scholars have suggested that Jesus’s farewell discourse as found in the fourth gospel was a “post-Resurrection” event. These teachings, they say, reflect the wisdom of an inspired Church after they have seen the crushing defeat and final victory of the Savior. But that misses the point. The Lord’s words about complete joy prepare the disciples for Good Friday; they prepare us for insurmountable challenges.

Life is not supposed to be easy for anyone. Christians know that. We welcome challenges as we recognize the crosses the Lord divvies out to us. We carry them in his footsteps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.