Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Tuesday of the Sixth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 292

Then [the jailer] brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.”
So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house. He took them in at that hour of the night and bathed their wounds; then he and all his family were baptized at once. He brought them up into his house and provided a meal
and with his household rejoiced at having come to faith in God.

Rescued from the impulse of suicide the jailer begged for salvation and it was readily granted. Millions of American each day ponder suicide; some hold a gun to their head; many die. Researchers believe that the impulse comes to nearly everyone. It is usually brief. A distraction, an amusing idea, or the fear of hell persuades some to let it go. A moment's conversation with a friend can dispel it. Very few regret not killing themselves; they often shudder at the memory. 
But we might ask, "What brought that on? Why was I thinking like that?" and, "What changed my mind?" 
The jailer found salvation for himself, his wife, children, and household slaves. His brief story should inspire us to speak more courageously about the Lord and his mercy. 
The epidemic of suicide in the United States should tell us the truth about our culture. It fails to offer assurance, dignity, and purpose to many citizens. Even apparently successful person take their own lives. Success is not all it's cracked up to be. 
The Prophet Isaiah asks us, 
"Why spend your money for what is not bread; your wages for what does not satisfy? 
As I listen to Veterans in the VA hospital, many at the end of their lives and at the end of their ropes, I wonder, "Why do we choose to live this way?" It is so lonely. Some have been married four and five time! They have shared their lives with no one. No one knows them; no one cares about them except the largely impersonal VA. 
Isaiah goes on, 
Only listen to me, and you shall eat well,
you shall delight in rich fare.
Pay attention and come to me;
listen, that you may have life.
I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
the steadfast loyalty promised to David.

We must return to the One, Holy, Catholic (with a large C), and Apostolic Church; that Church founded by Jesus in obedience to His God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.