Saturday, March 12, 2022

Saturday of the First Week of Lent

  Lectionary: 229

For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? 
Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers and sisters only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same?


Lent challenges those who observe it with the invitation to avoid Easy Street and enter by the narrow gate. The churches on Easter Sunday will be open to everyone and many Christians will be delighted to see overflow crowds in their sanctuaries. The promise of the Lord's resurrection still has some meaning for some people, such that they'll make the effort to attend the services on that particular Sunday. For many it will be a rite of spring, and little more.
Lent is a darker period; and its observance, more difficult. Those who practice Lent must be willing to hear today's harangue, "Do not the pagans do as much?" 
We're forced to an unwilling admission, "Yes, I greet my brothers and sisters only. Yes, I loan only when I expect repayment. Yes, I prefer the company of friends." 
Nor will our defensiveness do much good. "But, but, but..." we want to say, knowing full well our accuser has no patience for our buts.
Be careful, then, to observe these statutes and decrees with all your heart and with all your soul. 
Daily we examine our lives, discovering missed opportunities and new openings, and grateful there is still time, Daily, we admit that, if we cannot measure up to the standards the Lord has placed before us, we can do better. Daily we pray for the grace and, occasionally, we are delighted to find that the Spirit impelled us through the narrow gate and further on the rough road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.