Thursday, March 17, 2022

Thursday of the Second Week of Lent

Lectionary: 233

Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD.


I was rudely greeted by a fellow recently as I introduced myself. "I don't believe in organized religion!" he said. 
I held my tongue and did not ask the logical next question, if he believes in "disorganized religion." 
Chesterton posited that rural religion, the beliefs of the folk, is not systematic and feels no need for it. When they move to the city, however, and meet many different views about spirits and gods, they feel compelled to organize their beliefs into a credible system. They want to preserve the charm of both familiarity and accessibility. The gods should not be too remote, as their urban leaders are becoming. And they should be strong enough to do something when calamity strikes. 
It didn't work out in ancient Greece as cities grew larger and more sophisticated. Critical philosophers like Socrates and Plato mocked the human foibles of their traditional gods. Eventually their skepticism would build the secular society we know today.  
But the angry Veteran was in no mood for a discussion about rural religion and systematic theology, so I left him to stew in his unhappiness. 
The alternative to belief in "organized religion" is a vague image of a genderless God who is powerful but remote and indifferent to human affairs. Without religion we must rely on reasonable human beings.  
But that is the very crowd my angry patient despises. He wants no religion because he cannot abide the presence of other people. They want, expect, and demand too much. And now he is very upset that he must rely on others to prescribe medicines, advise therapies, and perform surgery on his failing body. 
He hates the authority of experts but still  believes with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength that money will insure his freedom
Unfortunately, money is a human invention. inflation soars, stock markets crash, and today's dime won't buy yesterday's penny postcard. When he is sent to rehab and then a nursing home his money will disappear. No one can afford today's medical care without insurance; that is to say, without other people paying the bill.  
He has forgotten that freedom is not money, freedom is what we give to one another. "Organized religion" gives us the symbols, beliefs, and basic confidence in universal goodness to work together. The rich man in today's gospel believed in his money, he could not be bothered with the God of Abraham or the Law of Moses. 
Personally, I'll believe in organized religion long before I believe in banks, insurance, and the stock market. The former has been around for two thousand years; the latter is also ancient but fails to inspire my confidence. 
In Jesus's story Lazarus, the poor man, trusted God. The rich man descended into agonized loneliness, the poor man enjoyed the solace of Father Abraham. The rich man's city disappeared in flames; the poor man's friends rallied to rebuild. 
Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.