Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent

 Lectionary: 232

“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt.
But it shall not be so among you.
Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.
Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve
and to give his life as a ransom for many.”


Shortly before he died, Saint Francis said of his first disciples, "The Lord gave me brothers." As big and unwieldy as his Order had become, with all its rules, bylaws, and directives, he never forgot that the "institution" is first of all men who care about one another. No one is innately superior. If some are burdened with the responsibility of leadership, the rest help carry the burden. As Saint Paul said to his Galatian friends, "Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ." 

His dear friend, Saint Clare of Assisi, practiced that same virtue as women from far and wide flocked to her convent. She insisted, for instance, that the newest novice should be heard during their formal discussions, and her views respected by the older women. 

That has been my experience not only of the Franciscan Order but also of the diocesan priests and bishops with whom I've worked. None of my Catholic superiors every lorded it over me. We learned to act as one community by conversation and prayer. Very often the leaders were the first to pour the coffee or make airport runs.  

For the most part, my experience of working with Protestant chaplains in the VA has been the same. We greet and care for one another as sisters and brothers. As I was adjusting to the hospital and the ministry, my colleagues never hesitated to assist me. And on more than one occasion, they have reassured and comforted me when I was distressed or confused. I hope I have been as generous to each of them as they were to me. 

There is no call in the Church for anyone's intimidating or harassing their sisters and brothers. Saint Francis taught his disciples how to deal patiently with problematic friars. In the seventh chapter of his Rule he wrote: 

If any of the brothers should sin mortally at the instigation of the enemy, they should recur to their provincial ministers without delay if the sin is one of those for which such recourse is required. The ministers, if they are priests, should mercifully prescribe a penance for them. If they are not priests, they should see that it is prescribed by others in the Order who are such, as seems best to them according to God.

They should be careful not to become angry and upset over someone's sin, for anger and perturbation in oneself or others impedes love.

Novices of a religious community sometimes determine they should lecture the older members how they should think, feel, and behave. They would lord it over their companions. At that point their vocations may be fading; if that last ember winks out, they leave. 

Those who study the manner of exemplary members remain and thrive. As we approach Holy Week, we follow the Lord who gives us sisters and brothers to admire and emulate. And we beg the Lord to teach us how to serve one another. Instructed by the Holy Spirit, Saint Francis understood in his bones the teaching of Jesus, 

"Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.