Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Wednesday of the First Week in Lent

 Lectionary: 226

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me
.


If Abraham is the father of faith, then David must be the father of penance. He knew God's love; he knew sin; and he knew both remorse and atonement. He knew for all his heroics that he was not a self-made man. He had not attained the crown by good luck, hard work, or courageous action; the LORD had chosen him and made him king. The LORD could just as readily dump him as he had dumped Saul before him. 
David never forgot the favor Saul had shown the young man; he could not forget the insane jealousy that overtook his mentor. When the first king of Israel lost divine favor he lost his mind. It was pitiful and it could happen to anyone who presumed to own what God had not given him. 
As the People of God and disciples of David's son, we follow in David's footsteps. We do penance for our sins. Although our foreheads are marked with the sign of penance only one day of the year. penance marks our way of life throughout the year. 
We look for ways to make sacrifice for our sins and the sins of the world. How can we, in our small ways, set things right as Jesus has set things right in the One Way? Where does his cross lead us and how ready are we to follow? 
The practical mind might insist upon asking, "What do I have to do? How much time, talent, and money should I give? When will I know I've given enough?" 
But the answer is not so simple for God's demand is inexhaustible just as God's sacrifice for us is beyond all comprehension. 
Rather, we pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance and pay attention to the direction of our Church. How do we practice penance, justice, and mercy? Do we simply pray and no more? Do we fast and no more? Do we do charitable works and no more? What are our sisters and brothers doing and how shall I join in their Spirit?
Penance is not about me; it's about us. The Son of David is our head; we are his body; and I am a member. We're going with him to Jerusalem, to Calvary, and to Easter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.