Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Memorial of Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, Religious

Lectionary: 367 

Take care not to perform righteous deeds
in order that people may see them;
otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.


Saint Matthew sets Jesus's inaugural "Sermon" on a mountain, recalling Moses' ascent of Mount Sinai and God's gift of the Ten Commandments. As the Lord has already declared in the fifth chapter, he has come not to abolish the Law but to fulfill it, especially because humans, Jews and gentiles alike, too often seek shortcuts to salvation. 

He speaks of doing these righteous deeds of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving in the same spirit as the ninth and tenth commandments of the Decalogue. "Do not covet" concerns more than external appearances. One must have the right attitude to live by the Law, which might be evident to God alone.  

A just person is more than an actor who appears to faithfully think, feel, and act; they must be driven by a passionate desire to live in a godly manner. Others can suspect whatever they want of one's motives; the righteous heart must be conformed to God's spirit. People who watch a stage presentation, a TV show, or movie know the actors are not speaking for themselves. Their beliefs might be precisely opposite of their characters (for instance, the famously liberal Carroll O'Conner played the conservative Archie Bunker.) Their expressions, as persuasive as they might be, are only professional descriptions of how a someone might feel under such circumstances. 

In the practice of virtue, Jesus's urges his disciples to go the extra mile; that is, the righteous should act secretly. It's better if no one knows of their prayers, fasting, and charitable deeds. If they're at all concerned about appearances, it is only to teach the young or avoid giving scandal. Sometimes one must be discreet in doing the right thing, especially if the innocent, foolish, or wicked might misinterpret what they see.

The Lord warns us about superficial piety, "Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward," which was human respect. They can expect no reward from their heavenly Father. 

I knew a young woman several years ago, who was severely addicted to some illegal substance. I had helped her out on occasion with food and warm clothing. When she decided to amend her ways, her proud advisor brought her to the church and had her give testimony of her new life to the congregation. They were delighted with her announcement and stood up to applaud. 

I sat there in stony silence. I had seen too much, and knew too well how difficult it is to go straight. She later thanked me for that. So far as I know she never relapsed but a life of sobriety consists of many one days at a time. Her reward could not come from a church of admirers.

So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work. Philippians 2:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.