Monday, June 5, 2023

Memorial of Saint Boniface, Bishop and Martyr

 Lectionary: 353
The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;
by the Lord has this been done,
and it is wonderful in our eyes?
"


Every Christian readily understands Jesus's remark about himself as the stone rejected by the builders. He was crucified at the behest of both religious and civil authorities, but raised up as savior; and we build our lives upon the foundation of that promise. 

But in the study of Isaiah, I found this fascinating oracle, 

For thus said the LORD—his hand strong upon me—warning me not to walk in the way of this people:

Do not call conspiracy what this people calls conspiracy,
nor fear what they fear, nor feel dread.
But conspire with the LORD of hosts;
he shall be your fear, he shall be your dread.
He shall be a snare,
a stone for injury,
A rock for stumbling
to both the houses of Israel,
A trap and a snare
to those who dwell in Jerusalem;
And many among them shall stumble;
fallen and broken;
snared and captured.

Bind up my testimony, seal the instruction with my disciples. I will trust in the LORD, who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob; yes, I will wait for him.


The "conspirators" in this passage are those prophets of the Lord who don't accept the Jewish kings policy of seeking help from the superpower Assyria against their neighboring enemies. These enemies would be overrun by Assyria in any case. The real enemy is Assyria; and our only help is God. Isaiah insisted that an alliance with any power other than God invites catastrophe. 

The oracle declares that God himself will be the stumbling stone which trips both houses of Israel, that is the separate nations of Judah and Israel. The Prophet Isaiah insists that our only refuge is God, and those who would seek help elsewhere conspire against the Lord. 

They should expect to stumble over God himself, but their hearts are sluggish, their eyes blind, and their ears deaf. They will not hear the warning for they lack the common sense of knowing God as their only Lord and Protector. 

I hear of many Americans armed to the teeth with guns in every room of their homes. They expect and await a zombie invasion of bad guys but they'll stand their ground, eager to defend their territory against evil. Many call themselves Christian, and some attend church; but they believe in their weapons. The Lord Alone is not their savior. 

They're equally convinced that they'll never know a moment of despair when they'll kill themselves, or a moment of foolishness when someone will toy with their deadly instruments. But curious children find guns, gun lockers, and gun locker keys. And everyone suffers occasional, passing moments of profound sadness when suicide seems their only option. These moments pass, but fatal consequences do not. Children die of gun play, and many white men would be alive today but for their guns. 

Without faith in God, they have no faith in their neighbors, and civility collapses over the Lord himself. They cannot bring their weapons into God's presence; their prayers are not heard. The cornerstone has become a stumbling stone. 

Isaiah finished his teaching to his disciples, 

"Bind up my testimony, seal the instruction with my disciples. I will trust in the LORD, who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob; yes, I will wait for him."

The choice remains for those who willing to turn away from sin and live by the Gospel. But there's little time left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.