Thursday, June 22, 2023

Optional Memorial of Saint John Fisher, bishop and martyr and Saint Thomas More, martyr

Lectionary: 368

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done...

Ad majorem dei gloriam, the Jesuit motto, translates as, "to the greater honor and glory of God." 

One of my more surprising discoveries as I study the Bible, and the spiritual life in general, is that my salvation is not about me. Nor is my life, for that matter. I am created and redeemed for God's greater honor and glory. 

Jesus clearly placed that foremost in our minds when he taught us his signature prayer, the Our Father. After the opening address of One who art in heaven, an address which is both formal and endearing, we signal our support for God's concerns; namely, his name, his kingdom, and his will. May these be blessed, built, and accomplished. 

"But what about me?" I might ask. "Should I not pray for something?" 

"Pray for your daily bread." the prayer replies, and "that your sins will be forgiven." 

Actually, I might say, "I had a few other concerns." We've got systems to maintain our daily bread, and I don't think of myself as a sinner. But I want health, prosperity, and happiness. I want security for my loved ones, that my team win the championship, and so forth. 

"...and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil." 

"So where is this prayer going, anyway?  When I zigged the prayer zagged. We're not in the same place, are we?" 

Ad majorem dei gloriam... 

Ezekiel (36:21ff) says it well. When the Lord would abandon his people to the exploitation and annihilation of Egypt, Assyria, and Babylon...
  
...I relented because of my holy name which the house of Israel desecrated among the nations to which they came.
Therefore say to the house of Israel: Thus says the Lord GOD: Not for your sake do I act, house of Israel, but for the sake of my holy name, which you desecrated among the nations to which you came.
But I will show the holiness of my great name, desecrated among the nations, in whose midst you desecrated it. Then the nations shall know that I am the LORD... when through you I show my holiness before their very eyes. 

We must show the holiness of God to our neighbors, friends, and enemies. We're useless otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.