Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Tuesday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 372

How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.


Abram offered a choice to his nephew Lot, who preferred the well-watered Jordan Plain. Genesis says it was like the LORD's own garden (i.e. Eden!) or like the Nile Valley of Egypt. It seemed, to this wealthy businessman, the better part. Unfortunately, it was also occupied by Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot pitched his tent and settled his family near these wretched towns. If he had learned the high ethical standards of his uncle Abraham, his children and grandchildren would copy their neighbors. 

When the nephew made his choice it seemed pretty obvious. Why should he not prefer the well-watered low land for his sheep and goats? If Abraham preferred the nomadic life of the caravans, dealing in exotic foods, fine clothes, perfumes, and incense throughout the fertile crescent from Egypt to Mesopotamia, Lot could settle and prosper in the luxurious plain. There were no limits to either man's prospects. 

But, in fact, Abram had chosen the better part when he offered the choice to Lot and accepted the less desirable land of Canaan for his herds. We can suppose his offer was divinely inspired. Though it might have appeared more genteel -- an uncle should act generously toward a nephew -- it proved to be wiser. 

In today's gospel Jesus urges us to enter through the narrow gate. It might not offer the best short-term profits. It will appear foolish to many people. But as we learn to live in the Spirit of the Lord, the obvious is not so apparent. Its glitter might not be gold. Abram probably knew what his nephew would choose but he had learned to be less concerned about his earthly fortune. A friend of God, his mind was on other things; his heart was going elsewhere. 

The patriarch's decision, even before he was circumcised and renamed Abraham, set a precedent which his descendant Jesus would follow. For he too, did not deem equality with God something to be grasped. Or, as Saint Paul would say,

I consider everything as a loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have accepted the loss of all things and I consider them so much rubbish, that I may gain Christ. Philippians 3:8





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.