And he said to him, "Amen, amen, I say to you,
you will see heaven opened
and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."
Nathaniel was astounded by the Lord's remark about him, but the insight immediately rang true. He knew but had never thought, nor had anyone suggested, that he was "a true child of Israel," and innocent of duplicity. The truth about himself came as a revelation, a word of God; and penetrated his heart with the joy of being known.
"At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known."
Truth often speaks to us also about our sins, reminding us of both objective guilt and subjective shame; but when it comes it sounds like the Lord's beautiful voice, with both affection and authority; and it arouses joy in our hearts. "I am known and loved by the Lord, despite my sins! I had never known that was possible!" And so we may "go to confession" with elated gratitude, and declare. "The Lord has save me!"
"...heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."
During the worse days of the Covid epidemic in the VA hospital, when no one was allowed to attend Mass in the VA hospital -- despite our gathering in knots around the nurses' stations -- I oftened summoned that awareness of Mary and her heavenly court of angels to be with me and to allow my voice to blend with theirs in praise of God.
Saint Francis discovered Her presence in the small Portiuncula chapel where his life of penance and his community which he called "Penitents from Assisi" began. He rebuilt stone by stone the ruined San Damiano chapel with his own hands; and named it "Our Lady of the Angels." He saw in its bare stones the poverty of the Holy Family in Egypt and Nazareth, and knew Our Lady has blessed all the poor of the world with her presence.
On this day, as we celebrate the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael we honor the God who has blessed us with the protection, guidance, and inspiration of watchers and holy ones who pray with us.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.