Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time



With our return to “ordinary time” we have resumed our reading of the Gospel according to Saint Mark, and we’re already in the twelfth chapter. Jesus has arrived in Jerusalem and is closing upon his enemies, as they close on him.
Since his teaching of the two great commandments – yesterday’s gospel -- no one has dared ask Jesus any questions.  So he can briefly go on a tear, demanding answers of them, to the delight of the crowd.
His question today might seem nonsensical,
How do the scribes claim that the Christ is the son of David?
David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said:
The Lord said to my lord,
‘Sit at my right hand
until I place your enemies under your feet.’
David himself calls him ‘lord’;
so how is he his son?”

First: Jewish (and Christian) Tradition supposed that King David wrote all the psalms. But today, as we read Psalm 110 in the light of modern scholarship, we suppose a songwriter wrote it for the crowning of a royal descendant of David. If David had written the psalm it makes little sense.  
Secondly, the Christian might ask, “Is Jesus not David’s son?” Yes, of course, he is – but he is more than messiah and David’s son, he is the Son of God, as the centurion will say in the climax of this gospel.

Finally, logic, as anyone who pays attention to politics knows, doesn’t always control our conversations. People use jingoes also, as well as riddles and wisecracks. Though Doctor Spock of Star Trek would tell you they’re not logical, they sway the mind and the mob.

Should reason and logic be the only sources of authority available to God? I’m sure many parents have found themselves dumbfounded by their teenager’s logic, but put their foot down and ended the discussion in other ways – with guilt, shame, or nonsensical ukases.
One time I pleaded with my mother for more allowance. In exasperation she finally said, “Which one of your brothers or sisters would you like to trade in for more allowance?” I almost answered her but the Holy Spirit shut my mouth and dragged me away out of the room.

Jesus too can use riddles, wisecracks and nonsense, not to mention demonstrations of power to claim our allegiance. Despite Thomas Jefferson and the Enlightenment, he doesn't always have to make sense.
And we love him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.